Instagram

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Upcoming Super Fun Time!

Stop Motion: The only project in which a 7 foot cardboard shark eats a 5th grader.
8-Bit Portraits
More stop motion hilarity.
Collagraph quotes. Awesome. 
 I'll be that first picture got your attention. What is it? Oh, just a 7' cardboard shark (complete with a hinged jaw) eating one of my 5th grade boys. This is reason I love totally opening up my stop motion project. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm in the middle of a bunch of really fun projects that aren't finished yet. I'm too excited about them, so I'm posting a few preview pictures. 

5th grade has been working on stop motion forever. (The flying cat is also from the stop motion project.) Most classes are nearly finished filming, so all there is left is to edit in iMovie and add voices. I'm excited to see how the animation turns out this year. 

4th grade is nearly finished with a new lesson I wrote. Growing up in the 80's I was totally into some of the early video games. I based a portrait/character project on the video game graphics of that era. Each student is making an 8-bit version of themselves. Very fun.

3rd grade has recently started a collagraph printmaking project that I adapted from something I saw on Pinterest. They are choosing a quote that is personally meaningful and working with foam and chipboard to create the print. This is the first time I've done the lesson and I'm thrilled with the work so far. More pictures to come!

5 comments:

Patty Palmer said...

This is awesome! Can't wait for the final post.
Patty

Mr. E said...

HA HA!! So funny. I have some 4th graders for that shark!!!!!

Zach Stoller said...

I can certainly understand that, Ted. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that animation comes out. The kids did a great job.

Christie - Fine Lines said...

LOVE that shark!!!!

Mythra said...

Hey Mr. Stoller!
I'm a student teacher and I'm trying to do a stop motion project with some of the students at my elementary placement! I looked at your lesson plan that you posted with last year's animation and watched their video- amazing! If you have time I was wondering if you could talk to me/email me more about how you structured the lessons (what was on those checklists?) and how you scaffolded animation for your students? I know teaching is a crazy busy job, but if you have sometime I would appreciate it so much!

Thank you and I love your work!
Mythra
Msaidia6@mail.naz.edu