Instagram

Monday, October 18, 2010

4th Grade Totem Poles





 


4th graders started out the year with a project based on artwork of Native American people of the Pacific Northwest.  We learned about stylization.  Stylization is how an artist changes how something looks in order to make it look different than it does in real life.  Students looked specifically at totem poles.  Each student picked an animal to stylize and then paint.  The finished paintings were hung in stacks to simulate real totem poles.  Many are over 8 feet tall!

2 comments:

Holly B. said...

I took this idea, and used it with my fifth graders this week. Instead of painting, I had them collage with construction paper. Thanks for the idea!

Zach Stoller said...

I'd love to see some pictures of how yours came out. I've been wanting to change it around a bit. Do you have images up online anywhere?