Instagram

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

1st Grade Free Form Creatures



This is another beginning of the year project for first grade. They have already learned about geometric shapes in a previous project and now they have learned about free form shapes. I use the beginning of the year in first grade to introduce many different media as well as art room procedures. With this project, watercolor painting was introduced. On day two of the project, students turned each of their shapes into something new. Many, many creative solutions popped up. I've seen everything from silly monsters to a very nice boomerang.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool idea!!! I might try this without the painting:) I want to get it done in one day because I have them for an hour. any ideas?

Zach Stoller said...

Thanks! You could pretty easily have your kids draw out the shapes, then after they are drawn, introduce the idea of turning them into something new. My kids loved the painting since it was their first time working with paint in my room, but you could just as easily change it to crayon or colored pencil to get similar results. Good luck!